Monday, June 23, 2008

Dallas Shopping Weekend!

This past Saturday and Sunday Leesa, Maycee, Leslee, Darby, Lexi and I went to Dallas to do some shopping. We listened to the Jonas Brothers and the Camp Rock Soundtrack most of the way down. Of course they had all attended Maycee's Camp Rock Premiere Party the night before, so the girls were still in full blown "Jo Bro" mode. The Camp Rock soundtrack was only released this past Tuesday, so it was quite impressive that as we drove to Texas listening to it, the girls already knew most of the words. Okay I won't lie....so did the moms! What is not to love about the Jo Bros???!!!


Once we got to Texas, we shopped till we dropped starting at Sam Moon and ending at the Galleria. But in between, we stopped at the American Girl Store. Lexi doesn't have an American Girl doll, and has never expressed much of an interest, but Maycee and Darby have them, and they brought them along on the trip. Basically their dolls needed to go to the salon / spa to be refreshed. They got their hair did (because everyone knows what a well-loved doll's hair looks like after some time!) and even got their faces, hands, and feet washed and cleaned. Once it was all over, their dolls looked as good as new! After seeing all of this and being wooed by all of the glitz and glamour of the beautiful boutique, it was no shock to me that Lexi was beginning to think she just might need to get in on this experience. I mean why would she miss out on an opportunity to have me buy her more stuff? American Girls are meant for girls Lexi's age, although I can't imagine she will spend much time playing with a doll like this. I guess we'll find out because she ended up with a doll, "Marley" who looks eerily like her new owner. Of course Marley needed another outfit besides the one that she came with. And a special $7 hairbrush. I don't even have a $7 hairbrush for my own hair! Sheesh! But I must admit the American Girls do portray a much more wholesome and age appropriate image than Bratz or Barbie, and they encourage reading, good behavior, and manners. But all that purity comes with a high pricetag! For $105 you'd think she'd be able to help Lexi with her homework or to keep her room clean. And none of these doll outfits cost less than $30 - YIKES! And I won't even start to talk about the furniture and accessories. Thank goodness Lexi didn't have any desire to buy an outfit that would fit her to match her doll's clothes. Oh yes. They have them. Maybe I'll get lucky and Lexi will opt to keep collecting her stick thin big boobed Barbies who encourage eating disorders and low self-esteem and Bratz that encourage dressing like a hoochie mama and wearing too much makeup. It will be much cheaper for now and maybe when she gets a little older we'll have the money to send her to a good therapist! But seriously, I was impressed with the American Girl store and we had a lot of fun. Lexi was so proud of her new doll, and she really seemed to love her. But thank goodness there are only 4 American Girl Boutiques in the world and none of them are in Oklahoma!



On Sunday we went to Ikea - can I just explain for a moment how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE Ikea? If you've never been, you must must go! It is like a Sam's, a Bed Bath and Beyond, and a Home Depot all rolled into one store - but add furniture! And a restaurant! And free childcare while you shop! We rushed through the store and it took us an hour. It is probably best that there is not an Ikea in Oklahoma. I would probably lose my husband and my job for spending so much time in there. I could browse for hours and hours. It is kind of like a Vegas casino - once you are inside you become "hypnotized" and there are no windows or clocks so you could lose track of time very easily! However there is no chance of coming out with any more money than you had when you went in. In fact, you are sure to have much less! But you'll have some rockin new stuff!

Lastly, we went to the Stonebriar Mall in Frisco. We were all pretty tired by this point, but we promised the girls they could go to Libby Lu's. Lexi had been before, but Darby and Maycee had not and they were dying to check it out. We thought there was one at the Galleria, and we thought all hell would break loose when we found out that there wasn't! So we headed there first to avoid any more whining and asking when when when when when we were going to go there. If you don't know, Libby Lu is yet another store that I have added to my "Thank God We Don't Have One of These in Oklahoma" list. It is like Claire's on crack. And they do makeovers. And you can create your own lotions and potions. And they dust your head with glitter when you walk in the store. And almost everything in the store is pink and/or glittery. And it is extremely overpriced. What more could a girl ask for? We hadn't planned on getting the girls makeovers, but we got suckered in. Heck it might be the only time my kid's hair gets brushed this week! That is worth $25 right there! The girls had so much fun and they looked super cute. And they were SO full of themselves when they left that store!



So we had a lot of fun on our Dallas shopping weekend. I blew a lot of money, but somehow I only ended up with a new pair of flip flops. But I did get to carry them home in a Nordstrom's sack, so that made my heart happy. Lexi however scored a lot of new stuff that will probably end up at the bottom of a pile somewhere in the depths of her closet or in the back of a drawer by next week. I should have known it would be that way! I love my girl, and I'm glad we got to spend some quality time together, but next time I go shopping in Dallas I will be kid free!

No comments: